Marquis Antiprotozoal Oral Paste
Marquis (ponazuril) is indicated for the treatment of equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM) caused by Sarcocystis neurona.
Marquis (15% w/w ponazuril) Antiprotozoal Oral Paste is supplied
in ready-to-use syringes containing 127 grams of paste. Each gram of paste
contains 150 mg of ponazuril (15% w/w). Marquis (ponazuril) is designed to
be delivered as an orally administered paste.
barrel of Marquis (ponazuril) contains enough paste to treat one (1) 1,200
lb (544 kg) horse for seven (7) days, at a dose rate of 5 mg/kg (2.27 mg/lb)
body weight. The plunger contains a dosage ring calibrated for a dose rate
of 5 mg/kg (2.27 mg/lb) body weight and marked for horse weight from 600 to
1,200 lbs (272 to 544 kg). The syringe barrels are packaged in units of four
with four reusable plungers. This package provides sufficient paste to treat
one 1,200 lb (544 kg) horse for 28 days at a dose rate of 5 mg/kg (2.27
mg/lb) body weight.
Ponazuril is an
anticoccidial (antiprotozoal) compound with activity against several genera
of the phylum Apicomplexa.
Warning: For use in animals only. Not for use in horses intended for food. Not for
human use. Keep out of the reach of children.
Precautions: Prior to treatment, EPM should be distinguished from other diseases that may
cause ataxia in horses. Injuries or lameness may also complicate the
evaluation of an animal with EPM. In most instances, ataxia due to EPM is
asymmetrical and affects the hind limbs.
recognize that clearance of the parasite by ponazuril may not completely
resolve the clinical signs attributed to the natural progression of the
disease. The prognosis for animals treated for EPM may be dependent upon the
severity of disease and the duration of the infection prior to treatment.
The safe use of
Marquis (ponazuril) in horses used for breeding purposes, during pregnancy,
or in lactating mares, has not been evaluated. The safety of Marquis (ponazuril)
with concomitant therapies in horses has not been evaluated.
Adverse Reactions: In the field
study, eight animals were noted to have unusual daily observations. Two
horses exhibited blisters on the nose and mouth at some point in the field
study, three animals showed a skin rash or hives for up to 18 days, one
animal had loose stools throughout the treatment period, one had a mild
colic on one day and one animal had a seizure while on medication. The
association of these reactions to treatment was not established.
Dosage: Marquis (15% w/w ponazuril) is to be used at a dose of 5 mg/kg (2.27 mg/lb)
body weight once daily for a period of 28 days.
Paste Syringe Assembly:
Storage: Store at controlled room temperature 15-30° C (59-86° F).
Before administration, the syringe barrel and plunger require assembly. Ensure plunger is clean and dry.
- End cap must be on syringe barrel when inserting plunger.
- Carefully insert reusable plunger into base of syringe barrel until it snaps into place, then remove end cap and gently apply pressure to the plunger until paste is seen at the tip of the syringe barrel.
- Return end cap to tip of paste syringe.
Administratering Marquis (ponazuril) to the horse:
The paste syringe is a multi-dose package. Ensure that the correct dose is administered with each use.
- Remove end cap and gently apply pressure to the plunger until paste is seen at the tip of the syringe barrel. Return end cap to tip of paste syringe.
- Determine weight of horse and insure the horse's mouth contains no feed.
- To measure dose, dosage ring collar and barrel collar should be flush. Hold plunger and rotate dosage ring with the other hand to the weight of the horse.
- Remove end cap from tip of syringe barrel.
- The selected dose of paste should be deposited onto the back and top of the horse's tongue. Introduce tip of paste syringe into the side of the horse's mouth at the space between the front (incisor) and back (molar) teeth. Deposit paste on the horse's tongue by depressing the plunger of the syringe as far as the dose ring permits. Remove tip of syringe from horse's mouth.
- To aid swallowing of paste, immediately raise horse's head for a few seconds after dosing.
- Clean the tip of the syringe with a clean disposable towel and return end cap to tip of syringe barrel.
- For the next daily dose, repeat steps 1-7.
Federal (U.S.A.) Law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian
Bayer Animal Health
Rx Medication Sold Only To Licensed Veterinarians & Pharmacies. Current License Must Be On File Prior To Shipping.