Joint Supplements for Dogs and Cats
As we age, we start to notice pain and stiffness in our joints and bones due to inflammation and deterioration of joint tissue. Just like humans, older cats and dogs are likely to experience joint pain.
The most common type of arthritis in dogs and cats is osteoarthritis, also known as degenerative joint disease. This is caused by daily wear-and-tear of joints. After years of running, jumping, and physical activity, our furry friends are likely to experience discomfort in their weight-bearing joints such as their hips, knees, and elbows. This deterioration of connective tissue limits mobility, flexibility, and functionality of the joints. This causes stiffness and can make it difficult for your pet to stand up or participate in intense physical activities.
Luckily, there are supplements that can limit discomfort and improve joint health. At Medi-Vet, we have a wide selection of chewable tablets, powder, and gel that offer multiple health benefits for pets.
Signs of Joint Pain in Cats and Dogs
Arthritis slowly creeps in and may be hard to detect early on. The best time to spot arthritis symptoms is early in the morning after your pet has laid down for many hours and when the temperature drops. Be sure to take note of any changes in your pet’s behavior that may point to joint pain. Knowing the signs is the first step to diagnosing osteoarthritis.
It is important to note that some breeds are at an increased risk of developing arthritis. Dog breeds such as, Retrievers, Labradors, Great Danes, German Shepherds, St. Bernards, and Mastiffs are more prone to this condition. For cats, Siamese, Persians, Maine Coons, and Himalayans are more likely to develop it. Notice the signs early on if you have a pet breed that is at high risk.
Pets that have endured an injury are also at a higher risk, even after they have healed from the impact and strain on their muscles, tissues, or bones. Obese pets also have an increased risk due to the added stress on their joints from additional body weight. Check out our weight loss supplements for dogs or weight-management products for cats to help your pet healthily lose weight.
Signs may include:
- Functionality issues- If your pet is having trouble standing up, lying down, walking, or going up and down stairs, they may be experiencing stiffness.
- Excessive licking- A pet may lick or chew the area that is causing them pain.
Decreased interest- You may notice your once active pet is no longer interested in chasing a ball or playing.
- Limping- While walking or getting up, they may not put as much pressure on one limb. This can be a sign of pain in a specific joint.
- Behavioral changes- The discomfort felt can cause pets to become more irritable and temperamental. They may start nipping or biting if you touch a painful area.
Joint Health Supplements for Cats and Dogs
Although not curable, there are joint supplements for dogs and cats that reduce pain and inflammation and improve mobility. Medi-Vet offers glucosamine, MSM, and other supplements made specifically for dogs and cats which can reduce inflammation and support proper joint function.
Shop bone, hip, and joint care supplements for dogs and cats.
- MethylSulfonylMethane (MSM) is a naturally occurring compound found in the body that supports connective tissue health. It is also a natural antioxidant that inhibits inflammation. We carry several products that contain MSM including Sogeval MSM Tabs 400mg for Dogs and Cats.
- Glucosamine is a natural compound produced by dogs, cats, and humans and therefore production can decrease over time. Glucosamine for dogs and cats maintains healthy cartilage and joint function. Multi-source glucosamine mineral levels are too high for cats. Single-Source Glucosamine for Dogs & Cats can act as an excellent source of glucosamine for your pets.
- Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) gel is a topical that deeply penetrates the skin and is used to reduce pain and swelling due to trauma or arthritis. This DMSO Gel Roll On is easy to apply.
- Chondroitin Sulfate relieves joint pain and increases cartilage cell and lubricant production. The NaturVet Joint Health 2 Powder can be sprinkled on top of food and has many other beneficial active ingredients such as Omega-3 and -6 Fatty Acids.
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) aids in lubricating your pet’s joints and supports the life of the cartilage cushion. HA has many other benefits such as promoting healthy skin, growing shiny coats, and maintaining good gum and eye health. The Conquer K9 with Hyaluronic Acid combines key ingredients for your dog’s joints.
- Perna Canaliculus is a supplement made from green-lipped mussel and is used as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory for cats and dogs. Cosequin for dogs uses a tasty flavored formula for chew tabs that can be used as treats.
Other Ways to Treat Joint Pain in Cats and Dogs
In addition to supplements, there are ways that you can help make your pet more comfortable at home.
Exercise- Low-impact exercises like short walks can reduce stiffness in joints and help your pet lose weight and build muscle. Hard surfaces like concrete may be causing more harm than good, try walking on soft surfaces like grass or dirt so there is less pressure on their joints. Stick to a routine and exercise regularly.
Limit slippery surfaces- Hard floors may be difficult for your pet to get traction on. Lay rugs that won’t slide on the floor so it is easier for your pet to walk around.
Provide bedding- Purchase a cushion or use an old blanket or towel for your pet to sleep on a softer surface. This will make getting up in the morning a little less difficult.
Use ramps- Whether your pet gets in and out of your car or on top of your bed, help them up with a ramp instead of them jumping.
There are many ways you can help reduce your pet’s joint pain, from cat and dog joint supplements to a comfy bed. Know the signs and talk to your vet if symptoms worsen.