Unfortunately, there may be a time where it is necessary to make your dog throw up something that was swallowed - a foreign object, dangerous food or toxic chemical. It is strongly recommended, however, to contact your veterinarian or emergency clinic before doing so. There are instances where it is not advisable to induce vomiting, but rather rush your dog to the veterinarian as quickly as possible.
When not to induce vomiting:
- If severely depressed or comatose.
- If the toxin is a petroleum-based product, an acid, alkali, solvent, heavy-metal cleaner or household cleaning product.
- Tranquilizers can prevent vomiting and can contribute to aspiration and choking.
- Fish hook or other a sharp object. Vomiting could lodge a sharp
object in the esophagus or actually perforate the stomach.
- When the label on the product that was swallowed states not to induce vomiting.
- If more than 2 hours have passed since the toxin was swallowed.
Vomiting can be induced in dogs by giving:
- Syrup of Ipecac (from pharmacy): 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs body weight.
- Hydrogen Peroxide 3%: 1-3 teaspoons every 10 minutes. Repeat three times. Give no more than 1 ml per pound body weight to maximum of 45 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide can be administered with an eyedropper or syringe directed towards the back of the throat. This method may take up to 20 minutes to take effect.
- Salt: 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful of salt placed at the back of the tongue. Vomiting usually occurs within 5 minutes. Repeat if necessary under the guidelines of total given at 1/2 teaspoon for dogs under 10 lbs, 1 teaspoon for 10-25 lbs, 2 teaspoons for 25-50 lbs, and 1 tablespoon for dogs over 50 lbs.
Once vomiting is complete and the offending substance is out of the stomach, an exam by your veterinarian is still important for precautionary measures or for further treatment. Activated charcoal may be given to help bind any residual poison and prevent further absorption. Be sure to take some of the vomitus with you to show the veterinarian.