Purina HA Hypoallergenic Canine Formula
The role of dietary management in canine food allergy is to provide a proper balance of total nutrients while meeting the special dietary needs of the patient. Most common food allergens are proteins with a molecular weight of 18,000 to 70,000 daltons. Protein modification is a process which alters the physical characteristics of protein molecules, reducing the antigenicity and rendering them less able to elicit an immune response. By reducing the molecular weight of the protein molecule below 18,000 daltons, this process can result in a protein that is truly hypoallergenic.
Food allergies in pets can develop at any time, even under one year of age and even after years of eating a food without problems. The cause of an allergic reaction is usually due to a protein source, such as a beef or dairy ingredient. Adverse food reactions account for 10-15% of all allergic skin disease in dogs.
Food Allergy or Food Intolerance generally appear as:
• Gastrointestinal (GI) Upset - vomiting, diarrhea, excess gas, weight loss
• Intense Itching and Scratching - involving the ears, face, feet, tail and stomach
Purina Veterinary Diets HA Hypoallergenic Canine Formula can be fed for both growth and long term maintenance.
Purina Veterinary Diets HA Hypoallergenic Canine Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for the growth of puppies and maintenance of the adult dog and has been formulated to achieve the following characteristics:
• Hydrolyzed protein source with an average molecular weight below 12,200 daltons
• Single protein source
• Vegetarian diet
• Source of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)-23% of fat
• Low allergen carbohydrate source
• High digestibility
Diets with these nutritional modifications have been recommended for dogs with the following conditions:
• Elimination diet for food allergy trials
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
• Dermatitis associated with food allergy
• Gastroenteritis associated with food allergy
• Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
• History of urate urolithiasis
• Protein losing enteropathy
Medical Contraindications: None
Guaranteed Analysis (Dry)
Ingredients (Dry): Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
Bags of 6, 16.5 and 32 lbs.