The Best Products To Prevent Fleas and Ticks
Flea and tick prevention in dogs allows you to use a range of chemical and natural products. Preventative products help keep these pests from getting into your pet's coat and laying eggs. Keeping fleas and ticks off your dog initially is the best way to provide the itching and hair loss that these pests can cause.
Oral Products Worth Considering
Oral products are convenient for many dogs because they are easy to take as a treat. Owners can avoid the stress involved with trying to get their dog to take a pill.
Thomas Laboratories Brewer's Yeast Flavored With Garlic
In addition to serving as a preventative against fleas, these brewer's yeast tablets also work for tick prevention. These tablets are a natural source of B vitamins and proteins that dogs require for healthy skin.
- Support a glossy coat and healthy skin
- Encourage a stronger immune system
- Strengthen the immune system and support healthy digestion
- Are tasty so dogs will take them with minimal fuss
- Keep skin conditioned during pest season to continually serve as a deterrent
Advantus Soft Chew
These soft chews come in formulas for two size ranges and are available in two quantities. Dogs and puppies that are at least 10 weeks or older, and weigh at least 4 pounds, can safely take these chews as directed.
Important things to know about these chews:
- Flavored to make dogs and puppies more receptive
- Kill existing fleas within an hour
- 96% or greater effectiveness against new infestations in four hours
Flea and Tick Collars
Collars are effective flea and tick control for pets and also last longer than many other methods. Most collars are effective for puppies as well as adult dogs.
Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar
These collars provide protection for up to eight months, maximizing their effectiveness well past the height of pest season. In addition, these collars:
- Come in two sizes for over or under 18 pounds
- Are safe for puppies as young as seven weeks
Shampoos contain ingredients that help condition the skin and coat, creating an environment where pests will not thrive. As a popular form of natural flea and tick prevention, shampoos may come in liquid or spray-on forms.
Davis Pure Planet Flea & Tick Spray-On Shampoo
This spray-on shampoo is easy to apply and also boasts a pleasant scent. The spray is an effective deterrent in addition to being easy to use.
Special features of this shampoo spray:
- Convenient 22 oz. size
- Contains clove and cottonseed oils
- Safe for dogs and puppies of all ages
- May be used with other treatments
Flea & Tick Sprays
Sprays are one of the most effective forms of flea and tick repellent. One of the most significant advantages is that they are available in chemical and natural forms.
Adams Plus Flea & Tick Spray
This spray is effective at killing fleas and ticks currently on your pet as well as keeping them away. The spray is effective for use during the entire flea and tick season.
Important facts about this spray:
- Repels fleas and ticks for up to two months
- Also repels flies, gnats and mosquitoes
- Kills fleas already on your dog as well as eggs and larvae
- Safe for puppies over 10 weeks
Vet-Kem Flea, Tick & Bot Spray
This spray repels one of the largest groups of pests that bother dogs during the warmer months. You will enjoy the amount of protection that it can provide each season.
Some of the spray's best features:
- Repels and kills fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, lice, gnats, house and stable flies, horn and face flies, horse bots
- Kills flea and bot eggs
- Protects for two months
Topical Flea and Tick Treatments
Topical treatments may include dips, wipes and other easily applied products. These products may be concentrated or ready to use as-is.
Adams Plus Pyrethrin Dip
This concentrated dip requires 1/2 an ounce per gallon for maximum protection. The dip can kill and prevent pests.
Important facts to know:
- Effectively kills and repels fleas and ticks
- Also kills and repels flies, mosquitoes, lice and gnats
- Safe for dogs and puppies of all ages
Vetri Repel Wipes Natural Repellent
These wipes contain safe, natural ingredients to repel fleas and ticks and other common pests. Wipes are easily portable when you take your dog on outdoor adventures.
What you need to know:
- Protects from flies and mosquitoes as well as fleas and ticks
- Brazilian oils help condition the skin and coat
- Non-sticky clean ingredients
- Safe for all age and weight ranges
Using these products to help repel fleas and ticks will help your pet enjoy the spring and summer months.